Boring Machines Disturbs Sleep: Returned

Boring Machines Disturbs Sleep

Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Returned

I have just returned to Glasgow after a wonderful trip to Toronto, where I met up with old friends, played some soccer, walked a lot, eat plenty, drank too much and didn't sleep enough. I also increased my record collection dramatically, I've already praised Penguin Music on these pages. But the best has been saved until last. The truly wonderful Soundscapes records (in the Little Italy region of College St) has a truly remarkable selection. I am not kidding when I say this is the best selection of albums, tapes, dvd's and magazines I have ever seen. I would have bought the whole shop if I had the money, sadly I haven't yet won the lottery. Soon though, I am sure.. and Soundscapes will be my first port of call.

So I have returned and that means all unattended business will be attended to. Anyway here's a list of the albums I purchased in no order whatsoever.

"Spry From Bitter Anise Folds"/ Fifths of Seven
"Palmless Prayer/ Mass Murder Refrain" / Mono & Worlds' End Girlfriend
"Seawards" / Sickoakes
"Sonic Nurse" / Sonic Youth
"Yellow House"/ Grizzly Bear
"You Can't Break The Strings In Our Olympic Hearts"/ The Diableros
"The Nineteen Floors" / Arc Lab
"In Distance" / Bitcrush
"Altar"/ sunnO))) & Boris

If anyone has already heard these albums, let me know what you think. For now it was a gruelling flight and I must go to bed.

4 Comments:

At 15 November, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi there,

A friend recommended World's End Girlfriend to me as he said it was similar to a favourite artist of mine, Blisaed. I've only heard one track by WEG so far, "We Are The Massacre", but it was excellent.

If you like it then you could give Blisaed a go - it's IDM-style electronica. The "Luster Heart" album is particularly fine and is available for free here.

 
At 15 November, 2006, Blogger Micky67 said...

i'll definitely check it out, thanks for the tip.

I havent got round to lisetning to that one yet, but i did listen top "Altar" by Boris and SunnO))) sounds great

 
At 16 November, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sickoakes is definitely one of my top 10 for the year! Highly recommended! Good stuff! I'm also really into the new Grizzly Bear album too! Now I definitely have to make a pilgrimage up to Canada!

 
At 16 November, 2006, Blogger Micky67 said...

Well Sean, it was your recommendation of the Sickoakes album that made me go for it. I must have had around 25 different albums in my hand and spent about 2 hours deciding what ones to go for.

As for Grizzly Bear, I think I have read to many good things about them not to buy the album.

Ive had a quick listen to both album's and they sound good.

What I will say is, my favourite so far is Mono & World's End Girfriend, quickly followed by SunnO))) & Boris

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Website Counter
Counter