Boring Machines Disturbs Sleep: Crippled Black Phoenix News and Album Feedback

Boring Machines Disturbs Sleep

Sunday, November 05, 2006

Crippled Black Phoenix News and Album Feedback

The Crippled Black Phoenix juggernaut seems to be gathering pace now and is showing no signs of stopping. As you should be aware, the debut album "A Love of Shared Disasters", won't see light of day until January 2007. But, Justin Greaves, one of the prominent creative forces in the collective kindly sent me an unmastered copy of the album. He also gave me some very nice and relevant information regarding the band's plans too.

I've listened to the album several times now and you really have to because there is so much going on in it to take in, in one sitting. The amount of different instruments used is staggering. A prime example of this is the church bells and accordions featured in "Really How'd It Get This Way?".

Its hard to pick my favourite track on the album because there at least 5 standout tracks. There are some fine classic rock moments especially "You Take The Devil Out Of Me", with singer Joe Volk showing a different, more rockier approach to vocal duties than hs solo work.

If I was to pick my favourite track(s), then I would go for the epic masterpiece "Long Cold Summer" and album closer "Sharks and Storms/Blizzard of Horned Cats" (which was a standout at this gig). I'm not going to go into lazy comparisons and talk about genre's because the album doesn't fit anywhere. What you should do is get yourself along to their myspace site and listen. What I will say, though, there is a real aura of something special that is happening surrounding this band.

But I must stress this is an unmastered copy so I'll have a proper review online when it is released properly. Invada Records are currently planning their media attack, while the band should tour extensively in the UK and USA. According to Justin Greaves, they have also shot a short film featuring four tracks, some rehersal jams and live footage .

Most promisingly, though, new tracks have been written and the next part of the trilogy will soon be recorded too. You can read about their exploits during their mini tour of the UK here. You can also join the CBP forum right here.

1 Comments:

At 07 November, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Holy S! I'm so jealous! I can't wait to hear it. Good news about the US tour, although it makes me wonder what's happening with the 'gwai! I can't believe they're already writing songs for the next album.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Website Counter
Counter