Boring Machines Disturbs Sleep: Scottish Guitar Army

Boring Machines Disturbs Sleep

Sunday, September 24, 2006

Scottish Guitar Army

Last night's Mogwai gig, was as good as I have ever seen them. "Hunted By A Freak" was again transformed into a ten minute epic in a live setting, while old favoutites like "Summer" and "Ithica 27-9" were given a welcome airing.

"Glasgow Megasnake" and the outstanding "Helicon 1" just about knocked me over, the sheer volume of noise was like being hit with a sledgehammer. "Ratts of The Capital" was also excellent, the only disappointment is the bands reliance on synths these days rather than the gorgeous glockenspiel they used to use.

"Mogwai Fear Satan" rounded of a spectacular performance in a packed Barrowlands, and Mogwai quite possible managed to get even louder, my eardrums are burst and out of action for a couple of days. This is not a bad thing.

A special mention must be given to Barry Burns for excellent use of the vocoder during "Acid Food" and "Killing All The Flies"

Once I remember the full setlist, I'll post a full review.

Update! - You can get a bootleg recording of last nights gig, at Tea With Tufty

7 Comments:

At 24 September, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hunted By A Freak isn't anyway near 10 mins live, last night the outro ran into intro of Mogwai Fear Satan though

 
At 24 September, 2006, Blogger Micky67 said...

Maybe I exaggerated the timing a bit, but it is certainly longer and ultimately much better in a live setting. Which is the point I was trying to make.

"Fear Satan" was possibly the loudest I have ever heard Mogwai, and last night was the 11th Mogwai gig Ive been to.

 
At 24 September, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was there too. it was the first time I've seen Mogwai live (I'm quite a recent convert) so don't have any point of comparison with other gigs, but they were stupendous: none of the prancing nonsense you get with lots of other bands these days, just magnificent walls of noise. A highlight for me was "I know you are but what am I", which is one of the most gloriously melancholy pieces of music ever written. Also, "Ratts of the Capital" - the first Mogwai track I ever heard, and still my favourite. My friend said he could die happy after they played Summer as the encore.

 
At 24 September, 2006, Blogger Micky67 said...

My ears still have a weird piercing sound in them right now after "Mogwai Fear Satan", it nearly rattled my fillings out.

"Summer" was indeed excellent and I think "I Know What You Are..." is transformed live too

 
At 24 September, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Damn, looks like a great set! Yet another stunner from the 'gwai! Nice that you got Ratts & Summer!

 
At 02 November, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

KXRSgL The best blog you have!

 
At 02 November, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

F2WdeO Magnific!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Website Counter
Counter