Boring Machines Disturbs Sleep: Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds - "Loverman"

Boring Machines Disturbs Sleep

Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds - "Loverman"

Nick Cave is an artist I have known about for several years, but quite inexplicably paid little attention to. Despite many friends telling me how great his music is, I still neglected him. It wasn't until about six months ago, that I noticed his double album "Abattoir Blues / The Lyre Of Orpheus" for £7 in Avalanche Records, that I finally decided to take the plunge, and become part of Cave's dark and morbid underworld.

After about three or four listens I was transfixed with just about all of the songs, especially "Easy Money" and "Messiah Ward". Since then I have went on to buy several albums by the Australian, including the highly-acclaimed "Murder Ballads". Cave has a unique way of telling a story throughout his songs, and his lyrics are captivating.

My most recent purchase was, "Let Love In", on the basis of this review, and it is fast becoming my favourite album of the lot. The haunting "Do You Love Me (Part 2)" is one of the best tracks on this release, as is "Red Right Hand", which features organs not heard since 50's Horror films. The video above, however, features my favourite track, "Loverman". It is a very sinister piece that explodes during the chorus, with Cave rambling on about the devil.

3 Comments:

At 11 September, 2006, Blogger Micky67 said...

The more I listen to him the more I like his music. I always find something new, whether it is the instrumentation, vocals or lyrics. Tom Waits is another guy, whose name I know, but haven't got round to listening to him

 
At 02 November, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

3S1Q58 The best blog you have!

 
At 02 November, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

ZTItL7 Good job!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Website Counter
Counter