Boring Machines Disturbs Sleep: Muse - "Stockholm Syndrome"

Boring Machines Disturbs Sleep

Sunday, September 03, 2006

Muse - "Stockholm Syndrome"

I have always had a love/hate relationship with Muse. I first saw them at T in The Park 1999 round about when they were just starting to break. I had heard about how much of a genius Matt Bellamy was and on that day they were pretty good but didn't leave an impression on me.

However, being a major Radiohead fan, I was always quite suspicous of bands like Muse, who I thought were a poor parody of Thom and co...

However, last year, I moved toToronto for 6 and a half months, and so had to fill my Ipod up with 20gb's of music to soundtrack my stay before my journey , as my files would be left at home in 'sunny' Scotland. Basically, I copied about 2,500 songs to get me through my stay in Canada. I copied some music by Muse, unitentionally to my Ipod.

Walking to work one absolutley roasting hot day (it was the hottest Summer on record in Toronto last year) I thought I should give Muse a chance. I was half expecting to dismiss their sound immediately but instead found myself captivated by their tunes. After 3 or 4 listens, I was compltely hooked.

Their songs are melodic, euphoric and extremely catchy, while Matt Bellamy's operatic vocals could rival Thom Yorke. I have been told that they are an exciting live band, but having dismissed them as yet another NME favourite back in '99, I didn't pay much attention to them. They are playing in Glasgow soon, and judging by the video of "Stockholm Syndrome" above, I dare say I am going to be there. For a three piece they make an incredible sound and look to be an excitng live act.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Website Counter
Counter