Boring Machines Disturbs Sleep: The Album Leaf - "Spinning Makes Me Dizzy"

Boring Machines Disturbs Sleep

Thursday, September 14, 2006

The Album Leaf - "Spinning Makes Me Dizzy"

Having released one of my favourite album's in 2004, The Album Leaf have followed the excellent "In A Safe Place", with latest album "Into The Blue Again". It was only released on the 12th of September, so I haven't heard this new effort yet, but if it is half as good as the previous one, then we will be in for a treat.

I have never heard the song in the video above, but "Spinning Makes Me Dizzy", is a prime example of The Album Leaf's sound. Playful beats, chiming melodies and just superbly written songs that combines elements of electronica and melancholic rock. One reviewer has described their new album as:

"(Into The Blue Again) finds the songwriter at his most intimate and comfortable. Serene piano leads and Boards of Canada-esque drum programming make this one of Sub Pop's best releases this year".

I first came across The Album Leaf when they were supporting Sigur Ros in 2002. Back then it was just group leader and classically trained musician Jimmy LaVelle on stage armed with a guitar and a laptop. Its also worth mentioning that LaVelle is an honourary member of Sigur Ros too with both groups featuring on each other's work. Despite the lack of a tangible band behind him that night, though, his set was pretty memorable and interesting and I bought "One Day I'll Be On Time" the next day. This was a period when I was studying business at university and I spent most of my free time and money at Avalanche Records, when I really should have been working on my dissertation.

As you can see from the video, LaVelle has now recruited a full band, so I'm intrigued to see him/them on the live circuit once again. There is no European tour as of yet, but if everything goes according to plan, I should be in Toronto to catch the show at Lee's Palace on November 9th. I'm now off to myspace to check out their new tunes, where you can also get $2 off the album if you order it there.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Website Counter
Counter