Boring Machines Disturbs Sleep: Alas!, Alas! It's The Ascent Of Everest

Boring Machines Disturbs Sleep

Thursday, September 21, 2006

Alas!, Alas! It's The Ascent Of Everest

I must have ordered The Ascent Of Everest's "How Lonely Sits The City" album at least three months ago from the band's website. It finally arrived, last Monday, after I had completely forgotten about it. I'll give you a brief history of this order...

I had heard so much about this album, earlier in the year, that I thought I had to get my hands on it. I ordered it from The Ascent's.. website for $10 (or '5 sheets' in Scotland) in June. A week later I got an e-mail from some guy ( later, I found out it was the band's percussionist) saying their distribution company had went bust. However, they promised my order was on its way, regardless.

A month later, my order still hadn't arrived and a few e-mails to said band member didn't inspire me with much confidence. So I decided to take matters into my own hands and just download the album since I had, in effect paid for it. But, digital transfer isn't doing anything for me these days, I prefer something tangible. So, despite the download, I never bothered listening to the mp3 version and forgot about the band.

I had admitted defeat in getting the album and moved on with my life. Until it, somehow, finally showed up last week through my letterbox. Not only that, the band had also sent a plethora of badges and stickers as an apology.

To the music though, was it worth the wait?.....

Yes, Yes and Thrice Yes.....

There is a lot of different influences (Godspeed, A Silver Mt Zion) but it is delivered with such panache, that it creates its own niche. A lot of the instrumentation reminds me of all those great Constellation bands, but I think some of the dynamics are reminiscent of Sigur Ros too.

The five tracks, spanning 55 minutes, are most enjoyable. Standout tracks include opener "Alas!, Alas!, The Breath of Life" and "A Thernody (For The Victims of Novemeber 2nd)", the latter being particularly poignant right now. It represents the day George W Bush came into power in the USA, effectively signing the deathwish of nearly 100,000 victims of his "war on terror".

Ascent of Everest apology accepted!. All is forgiven!.

I can't vouch for the quality of the delivery of orders, but I will most definitely vouch for the quality of their music. Listen here

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Website Counter
Counter